Saturday, July 11, 2009

Nature and Light



The Palm Springs Art Museum offers free admission every Thursday evening when the town is filled with visitors for the weekly Villagefest street fair.



For the summer, there is an exhibit called "Impressionist and Modern Masters: Nature and Light" which involves about a dozen extremely valuable paintings by Impressionists Van Gogh, Renoir, Matisse, and Manet and the modernists de Kooning, Thiebaud, Joan Mitchell, and Rothko.



The paintings are on loan from an "Anonymous Donor" in Palm Desert, where the super rich such as Bill Gates have homes in gated communities.



The exhibit is fluffed out by complementary works from the permanent collection at the museum but they tend to suffer in comparison to Anonymous Rich Dude's paintings.



I didn't stay long because Nature and Light in the real world were calling...



...with palm fronds and colored clouds.

3 comments:

affinity said...

You are making me homesick for Palm Springs. I did not think that was possible, nostalgic yes, homesick no.

I am glad you are having a good time.

AphotoAday said...

Hey, I hear it's expensive, but have you taken the tram to the top of Mount Jacinto yet?   My parents did that years ago and couldn't stop talking about it...

And I understand that not everybody in Palm Springs is rich... I used to work with a fellow who grew up on the Indian Reservation, although he wasn't an Indian...

Looks like you're having a fun time... Watch out for falling coconuts...

Civic Center said...

Dear affinity: I'd probably go crazy if I lived here year-round so I understand your ambivalence.

Dear Aphotoaday: I took the tram for the first time last year with my mother and it was both fabulous and frightening. There are a few pics here:

http://sfciviccenter.blogspot.com/2008/06/palm-springs-tramway.html