Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Patrick Dougherty's Secret Nests



It is a bit discombobulating returning to San Francisco after three weeks in Southern California.



The weather looks especially gray after blue desert skies, and the street people sleeping in Civic Center Plaza on a foggy afternoon just adds to the gloominess.



The only detail that seemed a happy change was the full blooming of the sycamore trees around Patrick Dougherty's "Upper Crust" sculptures.



Under the trees, it feels like there are secret nests...



...woven magically into a forest.



Though Donald Kinney of the great photoblog "A Photo A Day" doesn't much care for them, I think the sculptures have finally come completely into their own.

2 comments:

Nancy Ewart said...

I took some photos of them last week. I love what they are growing into but they also look very alien. From a distance, they look like homes for tiny beings (maybe from another planet?). The tops of them also remind me of some types of native huts in Africa with their conical twist shape.

AphotoAday said...

Well, I've softened just slightly, and have visited them twice now, but I still can't warm up to them, but that's only me.

Welcome back to the fog.