Saturday, July 04, 2009

SoCal Road Trip 1: Arroyo Grande



I started a Southern California pilgrimage this week at my sister Hilary's house atop a hill in the Central Coast of California.



She has a mad love for the animal world and her place is overrun with happy creatures, including Norman the goat...



...along with three horses...



...not to mention three cats and five chickens and four baby ducks and Lopez, the Pyrenees sheepdog who protects the homestead.



The hilltop was happy above all because their independent daughter Kyle had finally reached the real age of majority for all Californians, sweet 16, which is when you can finally legally drive on your own. The sense of relief for everyone in the family could probably be felt for miles around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pergola! Can you tell how it's anchored in the ground? I want to get one but I can't afford to be drilling deep holes in the concrete patio behind the house, which the big wooden ones seem to require.

Civic Center said...

Dear rootless: Since I'm basically the opposite of an engineer, I couldn't even begin to answer your question. I'll ask, though.